Library Open Repository
Reference to index of the High School of Hobart town
Lillie, John and Chapman, TD and Walker, George Washington and Officer, R (2010) Reference to index of the High School of Hobart town. University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection, Australia. (Unpublished)
Lillie.pdf | Download (55kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
The High School was founded in 1848 by a group of leading Presbyterians and Free Churchmen, including Rev. John Lillie, Minister of St. Andrews Church, Hobart, G.W.Walker, R. Officer t T.D.Chapman, etc. A grant of land on the Domain was received from the Crown and a building designed by A. Dawson was begun in 1848 by Messrs. Cleghorn and Anderson, costing about $3600. By 1851 there were already 81 pupils, by 1859 boarders were taken and a junior department had been started. Dr. Lillie was the first Rector. In 1857 Rev. R.D.P. Harris took up the appointment of Rector and remained until 1885, leasing the school from the shareholders from 1862. In 1885 the rights were handed over to Christ College and the building sold to the University of Tasmania in 1892. Other papers relating to the High School held by F.C.Wolfhagen were not received. These include some correspondence relating to the land grant, 1846-50, and a printed copy of the petition to the Legislative Council to allow the High School to vest the premises in the University of Tasmania, which includes a note of the history of the school. Other material is held by the Mitchell Library, Sydney, and Christ College Trust. The object of the High School, as originally described, was 'the instruction of youth in the higher branches of learning, as taught in superior classical and mathematical schools in England', the ultimate object being 'to confer on Australian youth the inestimable advantages of an European University'. The school opened in 1850 and 56 boys were enrolled in the first quarter. The number had increased to 81 at the beginning of 1851. By 1859 boarders were being taken and a junior department had been started iIn 1857 Rev. R.D.P. Harris took up the appointment of Rector and remained until 1885, leasing the school from the shareholders from 1862. In 1885 the rights were handed over to Christ College and the building sold to the University of Tasmania in 1892.
|Keywords:||Tasmania, van diemens land, social history, history, colony, colonial, Australia, indexes, University of Tasmania, Library, private deposits, archives, Collections, catalogue, Special, index,|
|Publisher:||University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection|
|Collections:||Other Special Collections|
|Additional Information:||University of Tasmania Library, Special and Rare Materials Collection - Private Deposit H.8|
|Date Deposited:||02 Jun 2011 04:00|
|Last Modified:||14 Dec 2011 22:44|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Repository Staff Only (login required)
|Item Control Page|