Reference to index of photographs, typescript manuscript and printed pamphlets of K M Dallas
Dallas, KM (2010) Reference to index of photographs, typescript manuscript and printed pamphlets of K M Dallas. University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection, Australia. (Unpublished)
|PDF - Requires a PDF viewer|
Photograph of Westcott's Bookshop and circulating library, Collins
Street, Hobart. Standing outside are Mr Westcott and a little girl, Till, wearing a pinafore. The photograph shows the shop of John Andrew, Bellhanger.
The photograph was made by the University photographer from an original 'stereoscopic' photograph (i.e two adjacent photographs mounted on card to be viewed through a special viewer), made by S. Clifford, Hobart Town. The original was endorsed 'The little girl with pinafore Auntie Till, Dad in his shirt sleeves standing next to her. Fitzgerald's building now; M. Westcott 4.7.32'.In this photograph street numbers are not visible. Westcott's circulating library sign is shown on the middle shop in a two storey brick building, with three shops. The shop on the right has the sign 'Depot Christian Knowledge Society'. The shop on the left has a sign, part of which can be read under a magnifying glass as 'wool warehouse', and underneath on the shop lintel is a faint sign which may include the word 'bookseller" On the right of the photograph a small weatherboard shop bears the sign 'Andrew, Bellhanger'.
W. Westcott of 63 Collins Street, advertised new and second hand books
and a circulating library in Wood's Tasmanian Almanac, 1856 (p.126). The same
advertisement appears in Walch's Tasmanian Almanac, 1864, but in the 1865
Almanac the address is given as 63 & 65 Collins Street. However Hull's Hobart Town Directory, 1859 lists W. Westcott as 65 Collins Street', (65 being apparently the middle shop), so possibly both premises were already occupied by Westcott. By 1871 it had become Westcott's Circulating Library, 63, 65 &67 Collins Street. In 1879 the advertisement read (Westcott, Beedham & Co.
. circulating library and importers of books, stationery and music', The last advertisement in Walch's almanac appeared in 1881. The Christian Knowledge Society (Tasmanian Auxiliary, President the Lord Bishop of Tasmania}, for which Westcott acted as depository was first listed in Walch's Almanac under (Societies and Institutions) in 1869 (p. 132).
John Andrew, Bellhanger, Collins Street, advertised in Wood's Almanac in 1856 (p. 148L and is listed in HuWs Hobart Town Directory of 1859 at 61 Colllns Street. He does not appear in Walch's Almanac of 1863 or any later date, nor was he listed in Macphail's National Directory of Tasmania, 1867-68.
S. Clifford, photographer, Liverpool Street, Hobart Town (photographer of album and stereographic portraits, private buildings, shipping, monuments....L advertised in Walch's Almanac of 1864 (p. 43) and again annually up to 1869.
It would seem, therefore, that the photograph was probably taken
between 1863 and 1869. It is a clear photograph of exceptional quality
|Additional Information:||University of Tasmania Library, Special and Rare Materials Collection - Private Deposit D.6|
|Keywords:||Tasmania, van diemens land, social history, history, colony, colonial, Australia, indexes, University of Tasmania, Library, private deposits, archives, Collections, catalogue, Special, index, |
|Deposited By:||UTAS ePrints Officer|
|Deposited On:||03 Jun 2011 14:03|
|Last Modified:||15 Dec 2011 11:42|
|ePrint Statistics:||View statistics for this ePrint|
Repository Staff Only: item control page