Reference to index of records of "The Story of the Development of Hydro-Electricity in Tasmania", 1960 a draft written by A.J. Gillies and F.C. Green from the papers of the Complex Ores Company, the Hydro-Electric Power and Metallurgical Company and the private papers of J.H. Gillies
Green, Frank C and Gillies, Albert J (2010) Reference to index of records of "The Story of the Development of Hydro-Electricity in Tasmania", 1960 a draft written by A.J. Gillies and F.C. Green from the papers of the Complex Ores Company, the Hydro-Electric Power and Metallurgical Company and the private papers of J.H. Gillies. University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection, Australia. (Unpublished)
|PDF - Requires a PDF viewer|
Frank C. Green collaborated with Albert J. Gillies in drafting a history of the early development of hydro-electricity in Tasmania, pioneered by Gillies' father, James Hynde Gillies (1861-1942). J.H. Gillies, a metallurgist, developed an electrolytic process for extracting zinc from complex ores and in 1908 he started the Complex Ores Co. in Melbourne. He proposed to establish works in Tasmania, using hydro-electric power from the waters of the Great Lake and the Shannon River. The hydro scheme was suggested by Harold Bisdee. a Midlands land owner, and Alexander McAulay, Professor of Mathematics at the University of Tasmania. The project was authorised in 1909 by the Complex Ores Act, which also allocated a site at Electrona, North West Bay for the refining works. A subsidiary of the Complex Ores Co., the Hydro-Electric Power and Metallurgical Co. was established and on 17 December 1910, at an informal ceremony, Mrs. McAulay turned the first sod for the water power development on land owned by Professor McAulay. A severe winner and other problems delayed work however.
In 1914 the Hydro-Electric undertaking was sold to the Government. In 1916 the Government authorised a rival firm, Amalgamated Zinc, to establish a zinc works at Risdon and agreed to supply hydro-electricity for it. Gillies retained a Carbide Electro Products project but this did not start producing until 1921 and in 1924 was taken over by the Hydro-Electricity Department.
The draft history was based on original records of the Complex Ores Co. and the Hydro-Electric Power and Metallurgy Co. as well as Gillies' private papers, and includes some extracts, but the original papers were burnt after A.J. Gillies' death, by his widow. Includes Acts and Papers of Parliament, etc. 1913-1916 and photographs and newspaper cuttings
|Additional Information:||University of Tasmania Library, Special and Rare Materials Collection - Private Deposit G.6|
|Keywords:||Tasmania, van diemens land, social history, history, colony, colonial, Australia, indexes, University of Tasmania, Library, private deposits, archives, Collections, catalogue, Special, index, |
|Deposited By:||UTAS ePrints Officer|
|Deposited On:||05 Jun 2011 16:37|
|Last Modified:||15 Dec 2011 11:44|
|ePrint Statistics:||View statistics for this ePrint|
Repository Staff Only: item control page