Reference to the index of the records of the Hobart Regional Meeting of the Society of Friends (Quakers), from 1833.
Backhouse, James and Walker, George Washington (2010) Reference to the index of the records of the Hobart Regional Meeting of the Society of Friends (Quakers), from 1833. University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection, Australia. (Unpublished)
|PDF - Requires a PDF viewer|
Records of the Hobart Regional Meeting of the Religious Society of friends (Quakers) from 1833, including minutes of meetings, membership records, clerk's correspondence and papers, etc.
The Hobart meeting began in 1833 when the visiting Quakers, James backhouse and George Washington Walker, held meetings for worship in the Quaker manner, and others wished to join them. Accordingly on 20 September 1833 a small group of Friends met in a private house in Bathurst street and formed a "Meeting for Discipline". In 1836 a house
in Murray Street was purchased as a Meeting House. In 1880 a stone Meeting House was built behind the old weatherboard house and in 1960 the present site in Argyle Street next
to the Friends School was purchased.
|Additional Information:||University of Tasmania Library, Special and Rare Materials Collection - Private Deposit S.1|
|Keywords:||Tasmania, van diemens land, social history, history, colony, colonial, Australia, indexes, University of Tasmania, Library, private deposits, archives, Collections, catalogue, Special, index, |
|Deposited By:||Ms L Nandan|
|Deposited On:||15 Jun 2011 15:04|
|Last Modified:||21 Dec 2011 08:52|
|ePrint Statistics:||View statistics for this ePrint|
Repository Staff Only: item control page