Reference to the index of Risby Brothers, sawmillers and timber merchants.
Risby, Thomas and Risby, Joseph Edward (2010) Reference to the index of Risby Brothers, sawmillers and timber merchants. University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection, Australia. (Unpublished)
|PDF - Requires a PDF viewer|
Thomas Risby arrived in Van Dieman's Land from Norfolk Island in 1808. He was a master boat builder, specialising in whale boats and his sons joined him in the business. In 1844 one of tne sons, Joseph Edward Risby, went into the timber business and established an office and sawmill at the corner of Elizabeth and Davey Streets close to Franklin Wharf. The mill was known as 'The Franklin Wharf Steam Saw and Bark Mills'. In 1878 this mill was burnt down, but was
rebuilt and enlarged. Collection holds diaries, various photographs and an account ledger.
|Additional Information:||University of Tasmania Library, Special and Rare Materials Collection - Private Deposit R.2|
|Keywords:||Tasmania, van diemens land, social history, history, colony, colonial, Australia, indexes, University of Tasmania, Library, private deposits, archives, Collections, catalogue, Special, index, |
|Deposited By:||Ms L Nandan|
|Deposited On:||15 Jun 2011 16:29|
|Last Modified:||20 Dec 2011 11:40|
|ePrint Statistics:||View statistics for this ePrint|
Repository Staff Only: item control page