Library Open Repository

Hobart Town Turkish Bath Co. Ltd. Index: Royal Society Collection

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Kennerlley, Alfred and Roberts, Henry Llewellyn and Hunter, Henry (2011) Hobart Town Turkish Bath Co. Ltd. Index: Royal Society Collection. Royal Society of Tasmania, University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection, Australia. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
rs_4_Hobart_Town_Turkish_Bath_Co_Ltd_1866-1892.pdf | Download (39kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

The establishment of a Turkish Bath Company for Hobart Town was promoted at a public meeting held on 25 October 1866. 200 shares off5 each were sold. The chairman of the Directors was Alfred Kennerley, later succeeded by Henry Llewellyn Roberts. The first secretary was W.G.Elliston. Land at the corner of Harrington and Collins Street ( south side) was purchased from Mr Adcock for l400 pounds in 1867 and adjacent land with two houses purchased from Moses Cohen in 1874. The building was designed by Henry Hunter and with fittings etc., cost about 1500 pounds. The baths were opened to the public in September 1868 (two days a week for ladies and 4 days for men). The company was wound up in 1892 and the premises sold. The buildings were finally pulled down in 1933. Royal Society RS.4

Item Type: Other
Keywords: Tasmania, Royal Society of Tasmania, science, natural science, social history, Australia, indexes, University of Tasmania, Library, private deposits, archives, Collections, catalogue, Special, Van Diemen's Land,
Publisher: Royal Society of Tasmania, University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection
Date Deposited: 22 Jun 2011 05:33
Last Modified: 18 Nov 2014 04:18
URI: http://eprints.utas.edu.au/id/eprint/11090
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Repository Staff Only (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page