Library Open Repository

Botanical Gardens Index. Royal Society Collection

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Royal Society of Tasmania, (2011) Botanical Gardens Index. Royal Society Collection. Royal Society of Tasmania, University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection, Australia. (Unpublished)

[img] PDF (botanical gardens)
rsa_e_Royal_Society_of_Tasmania_Botanical_Records.pdf | Download (255kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

BOTANICAL GARDENS See also minutes of Council Meetings. The Botanical Gardens was originally one of the main functions of the Royal Society (first called the VDL Society for Horticulture, Botany and the Advancement of Science). The founder of the Society in 1843, the Lieutenant Governor, Sir John Eardley Wilmot, handed over to the Society 14 acres of the Colonial Gardens on the Queens Domain to be developed as Botanic Gardens on the lines of the Botanic Gardens at Kew and promised a grant of £200 a year. It was originally intended that a secretary with scientific knowledge of the leading branches of Natural History should be appointed, at a salary of not less than £200 p.a. with house, and he would be responsible for the Gardens. Indeed the Society hoped to appoint Joseph Hooker, son of William Hooker the botanist. In 1844 the Government grant was raised to 1400 p.a. and Dr. G.F. Story was appointed Secretary at {200 p.a. The head gardener, Herbertson, a former Government House Gardener, succeeded in June 1844 by George Grant, was to take instructions from him. From the end of 1845, however, the Government grant was reduced again to 1200. The Society then proposed to appoint a 'practical'botanist' who could take charge of the Gardens and also act as secretary, and wanted to appoint F.W. Newman, who arrived from Sydney in September 1845 as head gardener, as secretary. The Governor pointed out that such an appointment was 'inconsistent with the objects of the Society' as a'secretary to a learned and scientific institution' should be a person 'of superior education and scientific and literary acquirements' (minutes Oct. 1845). Accordingly an Honorary Secretary, Rev. John Lillie, was elected to succeed Dr. Story from December 1845 and F.W. Newman was appointed Superintendent of the Gardens at [80 p.a. (raised in 1848 to [120). Newman died in August 1859 and Francis Abbott junior, who had served an apprenticeship under Newman from 1852 and been employed in the Gardens, was appointed Superintendent and remained until his death in 1903. In 1885 the Gardens and Museum were trans rred to the State under a Board of Trustees consisting partly of Government officials and partly of members of the Council of the Royal Society. In 1950 a new Board was established for the Botanical Gardens consisting of 4 Government nominees and representatives of the City Council, Royal Society and University of Tasmania.

Item Type: Other
Keywords: Tasmania, Royal Society of Tasmania, science, natural science, social history, Australia, indexes, University of Tasmania, Library, private deposits, archives, Collections, catalogue, Special, Van Diemen's Land, Botanical, gardens, hobart
Publisher: Royal Society of Tasmania, University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection
Date Deposited: 22 Jun 2011 05:10
Last Modified: 27 Jun 2011 06:27
URI: http://eprints.utas.edu.au/id/eprint/11115
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Repository Staff Only (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page