Library Open Repository

Derwent Bank & Swanston letter books Index: Royal Society of Tasmania Collection

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Swanston, Charles (2011) Derwent Bank & Swanston letter books Index: Royal Society of Tasmania Collection. Royal Society of Tasmania, University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection, Australia. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
rs_9_Derwent_Bank_and_Swanston_Letter_books.pdf | Download (65kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

The Derwent Bank was established in 1827 and opened for business on 1 January 1828 in Davey Street, Hobart, with a staff of two, the cashier Stephen Adey and the accountant John Leake of Rosedale, Campbell Town. William Henry Hamilton was appointed managing director in 1830 but retired in 1832 and was replaced by Charles Swanston (1789-1850), a former Captain in the Indian Army. Swanston also carried on business as an import and export agent in wool, tea, sugar, rum, etc. The bank failed in 1849 and John Walker, merchant and mill owner of Hobart, acted as liquidator. These letter books were found with the papers of John Walker in the mill buildings formerly occupied by him in Barrack Street, Hobart (see also Walker papers RS:20). Another Swanston letter book in the State Library of Victoria a and accounts of receipts and payments 1835-1840 - RS.9

Item Type: Other
Keywords: Tasmania, Royal Society of Tasmania, science, natural science, social history, Australia, indexes, University of Tasmania, Library, private deposits, archives, Collections, catalogue, Special, Van Diemen's Land,
Publisher: Royal Society of Tasmania, University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection
Additional Information: RS.9
Date Deposited: 23 Jun 2011 02:28
Last Modified: 18 Nov 2014 04:18
URI: http://eprints.utas.edu.au/id/eprint/11134
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Repository Staff Only (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page