Library Open Repository
Archaeology of the Old Iceworks, 35 Hunter Street, Hobart
McGowan, AA (1989) Archaeology of the Old Iceworks, 35 Hunter Street, Hobart. Papers and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania, 123. pp. 27-36. ISSN 0080-4703
1989_McGowan_Archaeology.pdf | Download (628kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
The invention and development of refrigeration technology in the second half of the 19th century was a crucial factor in the success of Australia's meat export trade, although in Tasmania it was the fruit trade which made the most use of it. The Henry Jones Iceworks and cold-storage facility at 35 Hunter Street, Hobart, was probably established in 1903, involving extensive alterations to the existing building. Six of the seven insulated rooms in the building still contained refrigerant piping in 1986. This represented about one-twentieth of the volume of the original facility and was mostly used for cold storage. However, there is also evidence that most, if not all of the firm's ice-making took place on this site. The "Old Iceworks" was an important component of the industrial and commercial development of Hobart. Its remains were representative of refrigerating technology and equipment found throughout Australia in the early 20th century and were the last surviving ammonia iceworks in Tasmania.
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, RST, Van Diemens Land, natural history, science, ecology, taxonomy, botany, zoology, geology, geography, papers & proceedings, Australia, UTAS Library|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Papers and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Page Range:||pp. 27-36|
|Additional Information:||Copyright Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Date Deposited:||23 May 2012 04:14|
|Last Modified:||18 Nov 2014 04:34|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Repository Staff Only (login required)
|Item Control Page|