Library Open Repository
The attempt to introduce Salmon ova by the "Beautiful Star"
Royal Society of Tasmania, (1864) The attempt to introduce Salmon ova by the "Beautiful Star". Monthly Notices of Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 110-114.
1864-attempt-sa...pdf | Download (379kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
The apparatus in which the Salmon ova were deposited was placed between decks and was of two kinds—one hung on gimbals in the same manner as a mariner's compass, the other suspended on the principle of an ordinary swinging tray. Both were of wood,—the gimbal apparatus consisted of three shallow square boxes, one resting on the other, that on the top being the smallest and was fitted with trays, the bottoms of which were formed of parallel glass rods upon which the Ova were placed. The suspended apparatus consisted of a pyramid formed by three shallow square boxes placed one above the other in such a manner as to leave spaces between them, the lowest being four feet square, the bottoms of the trays in this being formed of perforated pure tin, on which rested one inch of gravel and in and upon the gravel the Ova were deposited. The suspended apparatus was varnished under the superintendence of Professor Pepper, Chemical Lecturer at the Polytechnic, the other by the Carpenter with common shell-lac varnish.
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Monthly Notices of Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Page Range:||pp. 110-114|
|Collections:||Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Date Deposited:||07 Sep 2012 06:27|
|Last Modified:||18 Nov 2014 04:42|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Actions (login required)
|Item Control Page|