Library Open Repository
Proceedings of the Royal Society for October, 1871
Royal Society of Tasmania, (1871) Proceedings of the Royal Society for October, 1871. Monthly Notices of Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 49-53.
1871-proceeding...pdf | Download (760kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
The monthly evening meeting of the Society was held on Tuesday,
the 10th October, M. Allport, Esq., in the chair.-The Secretary directed attention to a handsome present of books
received from America, through the Smithsonian Institution.-The Secretary read the following communication, from the Hon. J.
Maclanachan, Esq., on the rabbit nuisance.-Mr. Gould read a paper on the geological structure of Flinders'
Island in Bass' Straits, and illustrated his remarks by a large and very
beautiful collection of specimens obtained by him during his stay there.--The Secretary in bringing under the notice of the meeting some
products of the beet prepared by Mr. Atkins, of the Cascades House
of Correction, observed it was well known that the Society had long
recognised the great value of the sugar-beet, and information in reference
to it has from time to time been obtained and placed before the public.
Papers by two of our members, Mr. Barnard and Mr. J. Walker,
giving some details as to the beet sugar manufacture have been read at previous meetings.
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Monthly Notices of Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Page Range:||pp. 49-53|
|Collections:||Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.
|Date Deposited:||05 Oct 2012 00:39|
|Last Modified:||18 Nov 2014 04:43|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Actions (login required)
|Item Control Page|