Proceedings of the Royal Society for July, 1873
Royal Society of Tasmania , (1873) Proceedings of the Royal Society for July, 1873. Monthly Notices of Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania . pp. 23-26.
|PDF - Requires a PDF viewer|
The monthly evening meeting of the Society was held on Tuesday,
the 8th July, the Right Reverend the Lord Bishop of Tasmania in the
-From the Trustees of the British Museum, 64 volumes and parts
of publications on Natural History were presented to the Society and were examined with great interest as the volumes comprising were seen as great value as works of reference,
many being profusely illustrated by engravings and coloured drawings
of admirable execution.
-The Secretary read extracts from letter from Mr Robert Gatenby, and Mr,. Rollings, in regards to the nature of the implements made use of by the Aborigines.
-A letter from Mr. Johnston, Railway-office, Launceston, enclosing
photographs of leaf impressions and a fossil Unio, was read.
-Mr. Morton Allport remarked that having noticed in the Annals
and Magazine of Natural History for May, 1873 (No. 65) page 338, a
paper by Professor Frederick McCoy "on a new Australian Species of
Thyrsites," named by him Thyrsites micropvs, he thought it right to
mention that the species referred to (being the Tasmanian "Kingfish)"
was sent to England, in spirits, by him in 1870, and that Dr. Gunther
had recognised it as an already described form, viz., Thyrsites solanderi.
-Specimens of the Kauri gum of New Zealand, in various stages of
preparation for the market, from the Ven. Archdeacon Davies, were also
-Some ancient bronze drinking cups from Pompeii, engravings of old
Dutch painters and political celebrities, &c., sent by Mr. J. Northcott,
were brought forward for examination.
-Mr. T. Stephens read a paper entitled "Notes on the Mersey Coal
Measures, and their relation to the other members of the carboniferous
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Deposited By:||ePrints Officer|
|Deposited On:||19 Oct 2012 14:34|
|Last Modified:||19 Oct 2012 14:34|
|ePrint Statistics:||View statistics for this ePrint|
Repository Staff Only: item control page