Library Open Repository
Proceedings of the Royal Society for August, 1873
Royal Society of Tasmania, (1873) Proceedings of the Royal Society for August, 1873. Monthly Notices of Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 27-29.
1873-proceeding...pdf | Download (198kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
The monthly evening meeting of the Society was held on Tuesday, the
I2th August, the Right Rev. Bishop Bromby, D.D., in the chair.
-A specimen of coal of a peculiar character from Rostrevor, Spring Bay,
was exhibited by the Ven, the Archdeacon. On testing, it was found
to be incombustible. In appearance it resembled lignite, and contained
no trace of bitumen.
-The Bishop brought forward some specimens of iron ore, from Mount
Pleasant, Swansea; and Mr. Allport exhibited a collection of tin ore
from Mount Bischoff.
-A letter from Dr. G. F. Story was read, giving, from information he
had received, some account of certain habits of the aborigines. As to
the implements used by them, the information was very similar to that
already laid before the Society.
-The following statement from Mr. Robert Thirkell was read, and
possesses some interest as coming direct from the actual observer and
eye-witness of the subjects referred to:—"Mr. Robert Thirkell, of
Woodstock, near Longford, arrived in Tasmania in the year 1820, and
was constantly amongst the natives, and therefore was able to make
observations on their implements and habits.
-The Secretary read a paper by Mr. R. M. Johnston, of the Railway Department, "Regarding the composition and extent of certain tertiary
beds in the neighbourhood of Launceston."
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Monthly Notices of Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Page Range:||pp. 27-29|
|Collections:||Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.
|Date Deposited:||19 Oct 2012 02:20|
|Last Modified:||18 Nov 2014 04:43|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Actions (login required)
|Item Control Page|