Library Open Repository
Notes on the Chlamydosaurus or frilled lizard of Queensland (Chlamydosaurus kingii, gray), and the discovery of a fossil species on the Darling Downs, Queensland.
Bennett, George (1875) Notes on the Chlamydosaurus or frilled lizard of Queensland (Chlamydosaurus kingii, gray), and the discovery of a fossil species on the Darling Downs, Queensland. Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 56-58.
1875-bennett-fr...pdf | Download (185kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
This remarkable lizard was first described by Mr. John E. Gray, in 1827, and published in the appendix to the "Narrative of a Survey of the Intertropical and Western Coasts of Australia", by Captain P. P. King, R.N. He considers it closely allied to the Agamae, but differing from them in the peculiar frill that is appended to the neck, and named it Chlamydosaurus kingii. This interesting lizard was found by Mr. Allan Cunningham, who accompanied Captain King's expedition as His Majesty's Botanical Collector for Kew Gardens, on the branch of a tree in Careening Bay, at the bottom of Port Nelson.
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Page Range:||pp. 56-58|
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Date Deposited:||16 Nov 2012 03:13|
|Last Modified:||18 Nov 2014 04:44|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Repository Staff Only (login required)
|Item Control Page|