Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of May, 1876
Royal Society of Tasmania , (1876) Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of May, 1876. Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania . pp. 9-14.
|PDF - Requires a PDF viewer|
The monthly evening meeting was held on Tuesday, the 9th May, His
Excellency the Governor, President, in the chair.
Mr. Stephens observed that there
had hitherto been some doubt as to the species of Athrotaxis which
furnished the timber known on the North Coast under the name of "pencil
cedar," as distinguished from other "red pine," 'but it now appeared tolerably
certain that it was obtained from A. cupressiformis, the smaller of the
two trees. The logs from which these specimens were cut were from the
neighbourhood of Middlesex Plains, and both trees are sparingly distributed
in other parts of the North at an elevation of from 1,000 to 3,000 feet.
Mr. Ronald Gunn had kindly furnished specimens of the foliage of both
species. The red pine of Port Davey had been shown by Mr. J. R. Scott
to be Athrotaxis selaginoides.
His Excellency remarked that the collection of Algae (presentation No. 7)
by Mrs. Meredith was an exact illustration of a subject he had referred to in
his inaugural address, to wit the aid which may be rendered to science by
His Excellency, the President, in reference to observations made by
him in the inaugural address he had delivered at last meeting, desired to
state that Mr. Abbott had been so good as to point out to him that he had
been mistaken in supposing that the seeds of inferior varieties of Eucalypti
were likely to be passed off on seedsmen or buyers as the seeds of the
Blue Gum, Eucalyptus globulus.
Mr. F. Abbott, jun., then read the following remarks:
"Notes on Eucalyptus globulus (Blue Gum of Tasmania), compiled for the
purpose of showing the improbability of spurious seed being supplied
The Rev. J. E. Tenison Woods, after a few prefatory remarks as to the
importance of the collections of tertiary fossils made by Mr. R. M. Johnston, read a paper on the anatomy and physiology of some Tasmanian
Patellidae. The paper was illustrated by many microscopical specimens
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Deposited By:||ePrints Officer|
|Deposited On:||16 Nov 2012 12:31|
|Last Modified:||16 Nov 2012 12:31|
|ePrint Statistics:||View statistics for this ePrint|
Repository Staff Only: item control page