Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of March, 1877
Royal Society of Tasmania , (1877) Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of March, 1877. Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania . pp. 1-6.
|PDF - Requires a PDF viewer|
The monthly evening meeting of the Society was held on Tuesday, 13th
March, James Barnard, Esq., in the chair.
Letter from Dr. G Bennett was read, in relation to fossils sourced from Darling Downs, Queensland, and presented to the society.
The Secretary informed the meeting that the microscope then on
the table was presented to the Society by Mr. P. T. Smith prior to his
departure for England.
The Secretary reported that the committee appointed at the late
general meeting of the Society, for the purpose of urging upon Government
the claims of the Public Gardens for an increase of the grant-in-aid, had
waited on the Hon. the Colonial Secretary, and had expressed the views
of the Society on the subject. In reply, the Colonial Secretary admitted
he was fully convinced as to the claims of the Gardens to increased
support, and expressed himself as being most desirous to do anything which
might be in his power in the matter.
The Secretary laid on the table two copies of the Santa Barhara (California) Weekly Press, with many cuttings from American papers on
the subject of Angora wool, together with a sample of the wool itself.
The Secretary read a paper "On some South Australian Polyzoa,"
by F. AV. Hutton, Esq., F.G.S., Director of the Museum, Dunedin; and
in connection with it the following note from Professor R. Tate, of Adelaide,
was also read.
A "Census, with brief description of the Marine Shells of Tasmania
and the adjacent Islands," by the Rev. J. E. Tenison-Woods, F.L.S., F.G.S.
F.R.G.S., Corresponding Member of the Royal Societies of New South Wales
and Tasmania, etc., etc., was laid on the table.
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Deposited By:||ePrints Officer|
|Deposited On:||16 Nov 2012 11:06|
|Last Modified:||16 Nov 2012 11:06|
|ePrint Statistics:||View statistics for this ePrint|
Repository Staff Only: item control page