Library Open Repository
Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of August, 1877
Royal Society of Tasmania, (1877) Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of August, 1877. Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 19-20.
proc-aug-1877.pdf | Download (133kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
The monthly meeting of the Society was held on Tuesday, 14th August; James Barnard, Esq., in the chair. Presented from Mr. Wm. Barnard, was a specimen of an Australian Golden Plover (Charadrius orientalis). Mr. J. Swan observed he had never known these birds to be so numerous in Tasmania as during the present season. For one bird seen on former occasions, he must have seen fifty this year in the Lake District. He thought it probable that the great droughts in the interior of Australia had driven the birds southward to Tasmania in search of moisture. From Master H. Jones—a specimen of a Bronze Cuckoo (Lamprococcyx plagosus) from near Mount Nelson was presented to the society. Mr. E. Swan remarked that this Cuckoo had appeared a month earlier than usual this year, as it was very rarely seen before September. Mr, J. Swan thought it might generally be looked for about the same time as the Swallow. The Secretary called attention to the unusually long list of book presentations on the table from societies in various parts of the world, to wit. Great Britain, America, Italy, Germany, New Zealand, and the neighbouring colonies.
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Page Range:||pp. 19-20|
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Date Deposited:||19 Nov 2012 01:23|
|Last Modified:||18 Nov 2014 04:44|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Repository Staff Only (login required)
|Item Control Page|