Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of November, 1877
Royal Society of Tasmania , (1877) Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of November, 1877. Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania . pp. 97-98.
|PDF - Requires a PDF viewer|
The monthly evening meeting of the Society was held at the Museum
on Monday, November 12, the Right Rev. the Bishop of Tasmania in
From Charles E. Barnard, Esq., M.D. A named collection of
Fossil Fruits from Gulgong, New South Wales was presented to the society.
[In reference to this presentation, the following note from Dr.
Barnard was read:"These fossil fruits were found embedded in the
argillaceous 'wash dirt' of the 'Black Lead,' Gulgong, New South
Wales, at a depth of 150 feet, associated with leaves and wood, the
remains of ancient forests. Immediately above this wash-dirt is a
stratum of hard basalt, 15 feet thick; and above this again are strata
of clays and gravel alternating. These latter contain no gold; which is
only found here beneath the basalt".
Mr. M. Allport remarked that one or two of these fossils from the
New South Wales territories were very similar to some found in the
Travertine at Geilston, near Risdon, and in both cases they were of
older date than the basalt, which in New South Wales overlies the
fossils, and at Risdon has displaced the beds in which they occur.
The Rev. W. W. Spicer read a paper on "Silk and Silk Producers."
A paper by the Rev. J. E. Tenison-Woods, "On some new Tasmanian
Marine Shells," was read by the Secretary.
Mr. Allport read a very interesting paper "On the present stage
of the Salmon Experiment."
After some conversational discussion, the Secretary announced that
the Council, after due deliberation, had determined to open the Museum
to the public on the afternoons of Sunday from 2:30 to 5 o'clock. This
action was taken in the interest of all those whose occupations rendered
them unable to visit during week days. The experiment would be continued
for two or three months, after which period its continuance would
be determined by the number of visitors.
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Deposited By:||ePrints Officer|
|Deposited On:||19 Nov 2012 12:15|
|Last Modified:||19 Nov 2012 12:15|
|ePrint Statistics:||View statistics for this ePrint|
Repository Staff Only: item control page