Library Open Repository
Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania for the year 1880
Royal Society of Tasmania, (1880) Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania for the year 1880. Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 1-28.
report-1880.pdf | Download (1MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
Includes list of corresponding members, List of Fellows, obituaries and minutes of the Annual General Meeting of the Royal Society of Tasmania, held at the Museum, Macquarie Street, at half-past seven p.m. on Monday, 25th January, 1881 ; James Barnard, Esq., V.P., in the Chair. Includes report on the Societies finances. Report on gardens, including donors of plants and seeds and includes a list of plants introduced to the gardens during the year. Report on the Museum, list of donors to the museum, and books and periodicals purchased and presented to the Society during the year It must be mentioned with extreme regret that the obituary for the year embraces the names of some of the oldest members. Archdeacon Davies was one of the founders of the Society, and always took the liveliest interest in its affairs ; whilst the names of Sir J. M. Wilson, Mr. Charles Meredith, Mr. P. T. Smith, and Mr. Thomas Giblin indicate the loss the Society has sustained by their death. The Council also regret to report that, owing to failing health, Mr. Abbott has been obliged to discontinue those meteorological observations which during the long period of thirty years he has conducted with so much credit to himself and advantage to the Society.
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Page Range:||pp. 1-28|
|Collections:||Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Date Deposited:||22 Nov 2012 06:59|
|Last Modified:||29 Jan 2016 00:34|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Actions (login required)
|Item Control Page|