Library Open Repository
Remarks on the Scamander Goldfield
Wintle, Samuel Henry (1881) Remarks on the Scamander Goldfield. Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 1-5.
wintle-remarks-...pdf | Download (430kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
The Scamander Goldfield, which was discovered about two
years ago, is distant from George's Bay between 15 miles
and 16 miles in a westerly direction. The country between
the Bay on the N.E. and the Scamander River, where it is
crossed by the bridle track to the Black Boy, consists of
coarse porphyritic granite for the most part, and comprises
the George's Bay tin-mining district in the County of Cornwall.
A well-defined boundary, separating the granite from
the older palaeozoic formations, is formed, for a distance of
some miles, by the Scamander River. Indeed, so well defined
is the line of demarcation that at the north-eastern confines
of the Goldfield the granite occupies the fording place on
one side without any sedimentary rock being visible in situ,
while on the opposite side of the river, a distance of not
more than 20 yards, no granite whatever is seen, it being
completely covered up by palaeozoic sedimentary rock, consisting
of hard, cherty, altered sandstone, which in places
assumes a slightly gneissose character. This, in turn, in the
higher ground, gives place to very laminated, fissile clay
schists or slate, so highly inclined as to be almost vertical.
The Goldfield is situated at the head of Scamander River, in
a valley bounded on three sides by very steep, lofty hills of
slate, having a mean angle of about 40 deg.
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Page Range:||pp. 1-5|
|Collections:||Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.
|Date Deposited:||26 Nov 2012 23:19|
|Last Modified:||18 Nov 2014 04:44|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Actions (login required)
|Item Control Page|