Library Open Repository
Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of May, 1881
Royal Society of Tasmania, (1881) Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of May, 1881. Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania. v-ix.
proc-may-1881.pdf | Download (455kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
The monthly evening meeting of the Society was held on Tuesday, the 10th May, Mr. Justin Browne in the chair. The Secretary read a paper by Baron von Mueller, K.C.M.G., M.D., F.R.S., entitled "Suggestions for an extended elucidation of the Plants of Tasmania." Mr. Stephens read notes on a species of Eucalyptus (E. haemastoma), not hitherto recorded in the Flora of Tasmania, with its identification by Baron von Mueller. This tree is commonly known as the Gum-topped Stringy Bark. Mr. Johnston was glad that Mr. Stephens had devoted his attention so closely to the study of our Eucalypts, for it was only by a close special study of some particular family or group that we could now hope to improve or add to our existing knowledge. The proper classification of the Eucalypti is a very difficult matter, and the exact determination of closely allied species is rendered still more perplexing on account of the extreme variability due to local environments. the same habitats. The Secretary read a paper by Charles E. Barnard, M.D., etc., etc. "On Auriferous Country and Gold-bearing Rocks."
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Collections:||Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Date Deposited:||26 Nov 2012 22:59|
|Last Modified:||18 Nov 2014 04:44|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Repository Staff Only (login required)
|Item Control Page|