Library Open Repository
Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of July, 1881
Royal Society of Tasmania, (1881) Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of July, 1881. Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania. ix-xii.
proc-july-1881...pdf | Download (357kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
The monthly evening meeting of the Society was held on Tuesday, the 12th of July; His Excellency, the President, in the chair. Mr. W. F. Petterd, of Launceston, who had previously been nominated by the Council, was balloted for, and declared duly elected as a Fellow of the Society. Mr. E. J. Crouch, M.R.C.S., Eng., read a paper on "The Queen's Domain, with suggestions for its improvement." A long and animated discussion, in which most of the Fellows present took part, followed the reading of this paper, and many valuable and practical suggestions were brought out. It was ultimately determined, on the motion of Mr. Barnard, seconded by Mr. James Grant, that a committee of this Society, consisting of Mr. Belbin, M.H.A., Mr. F. Abbott, Superintendent of the Botanic Gardens, Dr. E. L. Crowther, M.H.A., Captain Stanley, R.N., Mr. John Swan, Mr. Justin Browne, and Mr. E. J. Crouch, with power to add to their number, be formed to consider the subject in all its bearings, and to confer with the Government as to the best means of contributing to the improvement of the Domain. Mr. Stephens exhibited specimens of a paper-like material used in stereotyping at the office of the Launceston Examiner, and one from the establishment of the Hobart Mercury. This soft and flexible material has almost universally superseded the use of plaster moulds in stereotyping, and the sharpness of the type cast from it, when properly prepared, is quite remarkable. Mr. Nowell presented some tables which he had compiled with the assistance of Mr. Langworthy, showing the mean of the observations for the five years, 1871-5, taken at the lighthouses and other coast stations in Tasmania, and published by the Society; and read some remarks upon the subject, with special reference to the winds in Bass' Straits and the climate of the West and North-West Coasts. Since the meeting the following interesting observations have been received from Mr, S. B. Emmett, of Circular Head:—"The annual fall of rain here is about 45 in., in the most 69 in., and least 33 in. Mean range of thermometer, 57 deg. at 9 a.m. Heaviest gales from N.W. during May, June, and July, always ending with thunder when the rain begins and the wind shifts.
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Date Deposited:||26 Nov 2012 22:56|
|Last Modified:||18 Nov 2014 04:44|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Repository Staff Only (login required)
|Item Control Page|