Library Open Repository
Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of August, 1881
Royal Society of Tasmania, (1881) Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of August, 1881. Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania. xii-xv.
proc-aug-1881.pdf | Download (348kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
The monthly evening meeting of the Society was held on Monday, the 8th August ; Mr. T. Stephens, M.A.. F.G.S., in the chair. The following persons were, on the nomination of the Council, unanimously elected honorary Members of the Society^, viz. : — Mrs. Charles Meredith, of Launceston, " in recognition of her long efforts to encourage the study of the Natural History of Tasmania, by illustrations both literary and pictorial, in her various and highly-popular publications." - Mr, James Smith, of Westwood, Forth, " in recognition of his rare perseverance and remarkable success in the discovery of Tin at Mount Bischoff." - The Rev. J. Wilkes Simmons and Mr, C. J. Atkins, who had previously been nominated by the Council, were balloted for, and declared duly elected as Fellows of the Society The Secretary, in reporting the above presentations to the Library, drew the special attention of members to the number and value of the books and publications which had been received from various scientific institutions of America, in exchange for the Transactions of the Society. The Chairman read a short paper on the question of establishing in the Society's Gardens a "Class Ground," or systematic arrangement to illustrate the classification of plants according to their Natural Orders; with a communication from Dr. Agnew on the subject, and a letter from Dr. Schomburgk, of the Botanic Gardens, Adelaide.
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Date Deposited:||26 Nov 2012 22:54|
|Last Modified:||18 Nov 2014 04:44|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Repository Staff Only (login required)
|Item Control Page|