Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of August, 1883
Royal Society of Tasmania , (1883) Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of August, 1883. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania . lvi-lix.
|PDF - Requires a PDF viewer|
The monthly evening meeting of the Society was held on Monday,
13th August, T. Stephens, Esq., V.P., in the chair.
The Secretary drew the special attention of the
meeting to the valuable collection of books received during the
past month from the United States Government, the Smithsonian
and other scientific institutions in America, in exchange for the Society's Transactions. Also to the numerous publications of
various learned bodies, in England and elsewhere, received in the
The Rev. J. Wilkes Simmons read a letter from the Hon. Secretary
of the Geographical Society of Australasia, enclosing printed copy of
rules, and asking for co-operation from the friends of Geographical Science
in Hobart in forming a branch Society.
Mr. R. M. Johnston read a "Notice of Additions to the list of Tasmanian
Fishes, containing a description of a new species (Olistherops
Brownii), and particularly referring to the recent successful introduction,
by the Salmon Commissioners, into the Colony from New Zealand, of a
species of Trout (Salmo fontinalis), a native of the rivers and lakes of
Captain Shortt read some introductory "Notes on earthquake
shocks in reference to those reported to have recently occurred in the
North and North-eastern parts of the island."
Mr. R. M. Johnston drew the attention of the members to two important
articles, in the Geological Magazine for April and June, 1883,
upon the Tertiary Flora of Australia.
In introduciug his paper Mr. Johnston remarked that the two species
now described by him (Chilodactylus carponemus. Parkinson, the "Old
Man Perch," and Sphyraena Nova Hollandiae, Gunther." "The Port
Phillip Pike") were not embraced in his original catalogue of the fishes of Tasmania (1882).Includes meteorological observations and time of leafing, flowering and fruiting of a few standard plants in the Botanic Gardens during July
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Deposited By:||ePrints Officer|
|Deposited On:||27 Nov 2012 14:52|
|Last Modified:||27 Nov 2012 14:52|
|ePrint Statistics:||View statistics for this ePrint|
Repository Staff Only: item control page