Library Open Repository
Australian topography: Edel's Land, De Witt’s Land, and Carpentaria
McClymont, James R (1885) Australian topography: Edel's Land, De Witt’s Land, and Carpentaria. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 407-410.
1885-mcclymont-...pdf | Download (233kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
Mr. McClymont attempted to prove by references to Tasman's Letter of Instructions, 1644, and to early maps that the Land of Edel, on the west coast of Australia, was discovered in 1617, two years earlier than the date usually assigned to the discovery, and that l619 is only the date of a second visit. The paper also showed that the name Carpentaria is not met with before 1663, although a river emptying into the gulf received the name of the president of the Dutch East India Co. in Tasman's map of 1644, and possibly at a still earlier period. In concluding his notes, Mr. McClymont expressed his thanks to Mr. Justin Browne and Mr. J. B. Walker for the loan of books but stated as his opinion that "private collections can never supply the place of a public collection of works relating to Australian discovery. That if Australians are to become familiar with the beginnings of Australian history, the means of studying the sources whence that history is drawn must be placed within their reach—an end to be attained by the gradual and persistent acquisition in each colony of the books, maps, and manuscripts hearing on its own history, until an Australian library shall be established, rich in all procurable rarities of colonial history and discovery." Library. Mr. J. B. Walker said that the books referred to were now in Christ's College Library, and stored in one of the rooms of the Town Hall, under the care of the Warden of the College.
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Page Range:||pp. 407-410|
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Date Deposited:||28 Nov 2012 04:58|
|Last Modified:||18 Nov 2014 04:45|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Repository Staff Only (login required)
|Item Control Page|