Library Open Repository

Notes on Jean Julien Houten de Labillaediere

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

von Mueller, Ferdinand (1885) Notes on Jean Julien Houten de Labillaediere. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 334-335.

[img]
Preview
PDF
1885-mueller-jean_julien_houten.pdf | Download (118kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

[img]
Preview
PDF (portrait)
de-la-billardierre-1885roya.pdf | Download (115kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

Jean Julien Houton de la Billardiere, born in Alengon (Orne), 28th October, 1755; died in Paris, 8th January, 1834. He graduated in medicine in the University of Montpellier, but subsequently devoted his studies almost exclusively to botany. For this purpose he traversed first the European Alps, and travelled, then, through some portion of Britain. In 1786 and 1788 he was sent by Louis XVI. on a botanic exploration of Syria, which brought him also to the Lebanon. The literary result of this journey was his work, " Icones plantarum Syriae rariores," the first part of which appeared in 1791. When in 1792 the first search expedition was sent out under Admiral d'Entrecasteaux to ascertain the fate of Count La Perouse and his crew, M. de la Billardiere became botanist of the expedition, and had thus the splendid opportunity of rendering known much of the vast vegetation of South-west Australia (King George's Sound having only in the year before been discovered by Captain Vancouver), and also of the southern part of Tasmania, he being the first to explore phytologially the region where now the town of Hobart stands, although Bruni Island was visited during Cook's second and third expeditions in 1773 and 1777 already.

Item Type: Article
Keywords: Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records
Journal or Publication Title: Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Page Range: pp. 334-335
Additional Information: In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.
Date Deposited: 28 Nov 2012 04:09
Last Modified: 18 Nov 2014 04:45
URI: http://eprints.utas.edu.au/id/eprint/15586
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Repository Staff Only (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page