Library Open Repository
Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of August, 1885.
Royal Society of Tasmania, (1885) Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of August, 1885. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. cxxxi-cxli.
1885-proc-aug.pdf | Download (698kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
The monthly meeting of the Fellows of the Royal Society of Tasmania was held at the Museum building last evening. Mr. James Barnard, Vice-President, occupied the chair, and there were also present the Bishop of Tasmania (Dr. Sandford), the President of the Legislative Council (Hon. W. A. B. Gellibrand), and about 40 other gentlemen. New member- Mr. Turnbull was re-elected a Fellow of the Society. The Chairman announced with regret the inability of the Hon. Secretary (Dr. Agnew) to be in his place, it being still undesirable that he should encounter the night air. The Curator (Mr. Morton) would officiate in his place. Mr. T. Stephens exhibited a specimen of the Coal which had been found at some distance from Longford, on the road leading from that township to Launceston, and near Jordan's Bridge. The Curator also drew attention to two skulls of Tasmanian Tigers (Thylacinus cynocephalus) which had been presented by the Hon. W. Gellibrand, M.L.C., one being very large, the teeth in capital condition. Includes time of leafing, flowering, and fruiting of a few standard plants in the Royal Society's Gardens during July, 1885 and donations to the Museum and gardens. The following paper was read: — Iceland and the Icelanders, By the Rev. J, B, W. Woollnough.
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Date Deposited:||29 Nov 2012 21:45|
|Last Modified:||18 Nov 2014 04:45|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Repository Staff Only (login required)
|Item Control Page|