Library Open Repository
Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania for the year, 1885.
Royal Society of Tasmania, (1885) Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania for the year, 1885. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 3-41.
1885-report.pdf | Download (2MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
Includes list of members of council and Fellows of the Society, the obituary of John Swan.
Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of the
Royal Society of Tasmania, held at the Museum on
Friday, February 5th, 1886,
Mr. R. A. Bastow, F.L.S., remarked, with the permission
of the Chairman, he intended early in the session to read a
Paper " On the Science of Sanitation," illustrated by diagrams.
He went on to remark that in this colony we have a Public
Health Act, as good an Act as could possibly be framed for
the conservation of the health of the community, and now
that the Parliament had done their part so well it remains for
the community to carry out the Act in all its requirements.
As yet it appears as though the science of sanitation are
totally unknown in the colony except by some few gentlemen
who have made the science a study, and unless the eyes of the
public are opened, the dangers existing in their very homes, in
the air they breathe, in the food they eat, in the rooms they
sleep in, and everywhere outside their homes, in the drains and
accumulations of filth visible at all times in many of our streets,
the annual death rate will still continue over 24 per 1000,
instead of 12 per 1000, for the registration district of Hobart.
It must be a subject for congratulation to the Fellows
that the papers read during the session of 1885 were not
only of great variety, but of special interest and importance.
The monthly meetings were all numerously
attended, and on several occasions many ladies were
present. Twenty six papers were presented. Includes report on additions to the library, finances, the museum and list of donors to the museum, the Queens Domain, plants introduced to the Royal Society’s gardens during the year and summary of meteorological observations.
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Page Range:||pp. 3-41|
Copyright The Royal Society of Tasmania
|Collections:||Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.
|Date Deposited:||29 Nov 2012 21:38|
|Last Modified:||07 Dec 2015 05:09|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Actions (login required)
|Item Control Page|