Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of August, 1888.
Royal Society of Tasmania , (1888) Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of August, 1888. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania . xxi-xxvi.
|PDF - Requires a PDF viewer|
The monthly meeting of the Royal Society was held at the Tasmanian
Museum on August 13th. The president (His Excellency, Sir Robert
G. C. Hamilton, K.C.B.), occupied the chair.
Mr. Alex. Morton read a letter from Mr. G. Thureau, F.G.S., calling
the attention of the society to the following announcement which
appeared in the illustrated Leipziger News of .July 10, 1887 : —" Dr.
Albucht von Groddeck, Royal Mining Counsellor and Director of the
United Mining Academy and School of Mines, at Clauthsal, Hanover,
on the 18th June, 1887, 50 years of age." The deceased gentleman
was a foreign correspondent of the Society.
Includes list of additions to the library during July.
Extensive discussion on the Paper “The Problem of Malthus stated” by Mr R.M. Johnston as well as discussion on Mr James Andrews “Notes in reference to
Scott's Track, via Lake St. Clair, to the West Coast of Tasmania."
Mr. R. M. Johnston read the following paper, which was contributed
by Mr. Joseph Davies, the manager of the Tasmania gold mine at
Beaconsfield :” Extraordinary phenomenon at Beaconsfield.”
"Being connected with the Tasmania mine, and a resident in that
district since 1877, I have had the pleasure of witnessing a very extraordinary
phenomenon, which has been perceptibly in operation during the
past three years.”
Bishop Sandford mentioned the matter of Antarctic exploration and Mr. A. J. Taylor drew attention to the destruction of the native
opossum, and said that something like 75 per cent, of the animals killed
had young in the pouch at the time and he thought the Society should make representations
to the Government for the protection of the animals.
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Deposited By:||UTAS ePrints officer|
|Deposited On:||05 Dec 2012 15:44|
|Last Modified:||05 Dec 2012 15:44|
|ePrint Statistics:||View statistics for this ePrint|
Repository Staff Only: item control page