Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of October, 1884
Royal Society of Tasmania , (1884) Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of October, 1884. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania . lxxxvii-xci.
|PDF - Requires a PDF viewer|
The monthly meeting of the Royal Society of Tasmania was held on
Monday, October 13. Mr. James Barnard, vice-president, occupied
the chair. A large number of Fellows were present.
Mr. J.W. Clunies Koss,B. Sc.,F.G.S.,Etc, Etc., London, was introduced
as a visitor.
The following gentlemen having been previously nominated by the
Council, were duly elected as fellows of the Society:—Messrs. A.
Giblin, A. J. Robertson, A. I. Clark, and A. Morton.
The hon. secretary brought forward the usual returns, including the time of leafing, flowering, and fruiting of a few standard plants in the
Royal Society's Gardens
duing September, 1884.
List of additions to the library, September, 1884.List of presentations to the Museum including mammals such as a Tasmanian tiger and four young ones, Thylacinus cyanocephalus, birds, such as Laughing jackass and a Wedge tailed eagle. Donations of fishes, mollusca, reptiles and crusacea.
Several papers were read:"The River Derwent: note upon the flood of 23rd September, 1884," by Mr. A. Mault.
Mr. R.M. Johnston read a paper on "Observatons on six rare fishes, recently captured in Tasmanian waters:-Callanthias Allportiis Latris ciliaris, Erythrichthys nitidus, Centriscus scolopax, Labrichthys Mortonii nov. sp., Oligorus gigas."
Mr. J. R. McClymont, M. A., read a paper entitled, "Tentative
list of Navigators who visited Van Diemen's Land prior to September,
1803." Discussion arose as to the importance and purchasing of material on this subject.
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Deposited By:||ePrints Officer|
|Deposited On:||07 Dec 2012 14:32|
|Last Modified:||07 Dec 2012 14:32|
|ePrint Statistics:||View statistics for this ePrint|
Repository Staff Only: item control page