Library Open Repository
Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania for the year 1884
Royal Society of Tasmania, (1884) Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania for the year 1884. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 1-38.
report-1884.pdf | Download (2MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
Report includes list of Fellows, the obituary of Joseph Milligan, born in Dumfrieshire, 1807, died in London, 1884. He was appointed Surgeon, in 1830, to the Van Diemen's Land Company at Surrey Hills, where he remained 10 or 12 years. Other Members who had died during the year were the Hon. Thomas Daniel Chapman, M.E.C., President of the Legislative Council, and Mr. Henry John Buckland. Throughout the Session of 1884 the attendance of Fellows at the evening meetings has been larger, and the papers brought forward have been more numerous than in any previous period. Fifty new Fellows, an unprecedented number, have been elected, and six have been lost through death or resignation. The Library, in addition to the ordinary periodicals, has been enriched by valuable donations from the Hon. W. Macleay, of Sydney, the Trustees of the British Museum, the Royal Society of Canada, and other scientific bodies. The Curator has done excellent work in properly classifying all the books and pamphlets, and compiling a complete catalogue. Includes Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of the Royal Society of Tasmania, held at the Museum, on Monday evening, 26th January, 1885, James Barnard, Esquire, Vice-President, in the Chair. Includes list of donors to the Museum, Statement of funds, and plants introduced into the Royal Society's gardens during 1884.
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Page Range:||pp. 1-38|
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Date Deposited:||07 Dec 2012 03:17|
|Last Modified:||18 Nov 2014 04:46|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Repository Staff Only (login required)
|Item Control Page|