Library Open Repository
Notes on the last living Aboriginal of Tasmania
Barnard, James (1889) Notes on the last living Aboriginal of Tasmania. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 60-64.
barnard-notes-l...pdf | Download (295kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
Some doubts have been cast in Parliament and elsewhere upon the claim of Fanny (to keep to her pre-nuptial and first Christian name) to be of the pure blood of her personal ancestors, but after searching the records, and upon her own testimony, and from other evidence, there seems to be little reason to doubt the fact. It appears, then, that Fanny was born at Flinders Island in 1834 or 1835, and is now about 55 years of age. Sarah was the name of her mother, and Eugene that of her father, and both were undeniably aboriginals. Sarah first lived with a sealer, and became the mother of four half-caste children; and was subsequently married to Eugene (native name, Nicomanie), one of her own people, and had three children, of whom Fanny is the sole survivor and representative of the race. Mr, Stephens asked the writer of the paper not to press the matter too strongly on the Society. While Parliament was free to act at its discretion in entertaining a claim, the Royal Society would not be justified in showing any amiable weakness in the same direction. If, however, he threw out a challenge to ethnologists, he ran the risk of depriving Fanny Smith of what she now enjoyed. He was certain the paper would be well received, and the writer must not attribute any failure to discuss it on its merits to any lack of appreciation.
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Page Range:||pp. 60-64|
|Collections:||Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Date Deposited:||10 Dec 2012 03:08|
|Last Modified:||18 Nov 2014 04:46|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Actions (login required)
|Item Control Page|