Library Open Repository
Studies in Tasmanian mammals, living and extinct. Number IV. The cave deposits at Mole Creek
Scott, Herbert Hedley and Lord, Clive Errol (1921) Studies in Tasmanian mammals, living and extinct. Number IV. The cave deposits at Mole Creek. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 6-8.
scott-tas-mamma...pdf | Download (160kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
We have recently had the opportunity of visiting two of the caves at Mole Creek, and obtaining a number of specimens relating to the mammalian fauna of Tasmania. Higgins and Petterd (1883) drew attention to the osteological remains in these caves, and they were later noted by Johnston (1888). Very little attention appears to have been paid to this locality by subsequent investigators, and we, therefore, desire to submit this short preliminary note to the Society in the hope that further investigations will be made. In the near future we hope to obtain a second and deeper series of specimens, and then to transmit to the Society a paper dealing with the material in general. Until we obtain a longer and older series of specimens than we have at present, we prefer to treat the matter on very general lines. The two caves visited were Baldock's Cave and King Solomon's Cave. In the latter there are many specimens. The more recent are quite free, but the older ones have become encrusted with a thick limestone stalactitic coating, or else have become completely covered. In some cases the floors of certain of the caverns are practically bone breccia. Careful research may yield much of interest, for it is not improbable that some remains of Thylacoleo should be in these caves, if that marsupial lion ever inhabited Tasmania. Considering the knowledge we have recently gained in relation to the habitats of Nototherium, there is no reason to exclude the possibility of Thylacoleo being found. We have only had time to examine a small section of the caves mentioned, and that only in a very superficial manner.
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Page Range:||pp. 6-8|
|Collections:||Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania|
|Additional Information:||In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.|
|Date Deposited:||10 Dec 2012 04:15|
|Last Modified:||18 Nov 2014 04:46|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Actions (login required)
|Item Control Page|