Library Open Repository

The completion of the General Magnetic Survey of Australia by the Carnegie Institution of Washington

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Kidson, Edward (1921) The completion of the General Magnetic Survey of Australia by the Carnegie Institution of Washington. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 84-98.

[img]
Preview
PDF
kidson-magnetic-survey-aust-1921.pdf | Download (1MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

The plan of the General Magnetic Survey of Australia by the Department of Terrestrial Magnetism of the Carnegie Institution of Washington was explained in a paper read by the author before the Australasian Association at Melbourne in 1913. As there stated, the object was to secure approximately one station for every 10,000 square miles of territory, or about 300 stations in all, with a uniform distribution over the Continent. Lack of facilities for travelling over large areas of the interior, of course, prevented the execution of this plan in its entirety, but the number and distribution of the stations established by the close of the survey in November, 1914, may be considered very satisfactory under the circumstances. The finally accepted results are given in the appended table, which is self explanatory. Some have already been published in the volumes of the Department of Terrestrial Magnetism, where descriptions of stations will also be found, but some have not yet appeared in print.

Item Type: Article
Keywords: Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records
Journal or Publication Title: Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Page Range: pp. 84-98
Additional Information: In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.
Date Deposited: 10 Dec 2012 04:27
Last Modified: 18 Nov 2014 04:46
URI: http://eprints.utas.edu.au/id/eprint/15742
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Repository Staff Only (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page