Library Open Repository

First discovery of Port Davey and Macquarie Harbour

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Kelly, James (1920) First discovery of Port Davey and Macquarie Harbour. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 160-181.

[img]
Preview
PDF
kelly-discovery...pdf | Download (1MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

The manuscript containing the following account is in
the Society's Library at Hobart, and owing to its great historical
interest the Council decided to publish same. The
Manuscript is in Kelly's handwriting, and apparently was
originally contained in two note books which have since
been bound together as one. There is, in the Mitchell
Library, Sydney, another account of this voyage. It is not
in Kelly's handwriting, but is signed by him. The peculiar
fact is that this second account commences the voyage on
16th December, 1815, and concludes with the completion
of the journey on January 24th.
The following account was evidently written some
time after the completion of the voyage. As far as a
printed copy will permit it is reproduced here exactly as
Captain Kelly wrote it.
James Kelly was born at Parramatta, N.S.W., on 24th
December, 1791. His parents do not appear to have been
in affluent circumstances. Although self-educated, James
Kelly's natural ability soon showed itself, as he rose from
cabin boy to commander. He later became the owner of
several ships trading out of Hobart.
Captain Kelly was appointed Harbour Master for the
River Derwent on ISth April, 1819, and for many years
lived at North Bruny. He died on 20th April, 1859.
Original manuscript can be found at http://eprints.utas.edu.au/9819/

Item Type: Article
Keywords: Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records
Journal or Publication Title: Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Page Range: pp. 160-181
Collections: Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Additional Information:

In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.

Date Deposited: 17 Dec 2012 04:17
Last Modified: 18 Nov 2014 04:46
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page