Please Note:

The Open Access Repository will be moving to a new authentication system on the 1st of November.

From this date onwards, account holders will be required to login using their University of Tasmania credentials.
If your current repository username differs from your University username, please email so we can update these details on your behalf.

Due to the change, there will be a short outage of the repository from 9am on the morning of the 1st of November

Open Access Repository

Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of November, 1889


Downloads per month over past year

Royal Society of Tasmania, (1889) Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of November, 1889. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. xxxiii-xxxviii.

proc-nov-1889.pdf | Download (336kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.


The last meeting of the Royal Society for the present session was
held at the Tasmanian Museum on Monday evening, November 18,
18S9. There was a large attendance of Fellows and several ladies,
and His Excellency the Governor (President) presided.
Bishop Montgomery and Mr. J. H. Innes were elected Fellows, and
Drs. Schewiakoff and Lauterbach and Mr, F. D. Power were elected
corresponding members. The President, in declaring the results of the
ballot, said he was sure they would all sympathise deeply with the
Bishop in the trouble with which his family were afflicted, and had it
not been for that he had no doubt they would have had him present with
them that evening. Mr. J. B. Walker read a paper entitled " The Founding of Hobart."
This was a further contribution to the series of articles by that gentleman
upon the early history of the colony, based upon original official
documents preserved in the English State Record Office, and recently
copied by Mr. Bonwick for the Tasmanian Government. H noted Kangaroo, emu, pigeons,
quail, and black swans were plentiful, and during the winter months
black whales abounded in the river, as many as fifty being seen
at a time. Explorations were made up the Derwent as far as Macquarie
Plains, and the Huon was visited. The new settlement received
the name of " Hobart Town" after the removal of the Risdon colony,
but for years it was generally known as "The Camp." The second
detachment from Port Phillip did not arrive until the 25th June,
the Ocean being five weeks on the passage. A census taken at the
end of July gave the total population at 433. Includes list of additions to the Library of the Royal Society for the month of November.

Item Type: Article
Keywords: Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records
Journal or Publication Title: Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Page Range: xxxiii-xxxviii
Collections: Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Additional Information:

In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.

Date Deposited: 23 Jan 2013 06:26
Last Modified: 18 Nov 2014 04:47
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page