Basslink Monitoring Program Field Report: Gordon River Benthic algae and moss
Davies, PE and Cook, LSJ (2006) Basslink Monitoring Program Field Report: Gordon River Benthic algae and moss. Technical Report. Freshwater Systems, Hobart.
Benthic algae were surveyed in autumn (March) 2006 at nine sites in the Gordon River between the Gordon power station and the Franklin River junction, and three reference sites. The survey was conducted as required under the Basslink Monitoring Program, with all sites assessed by:
- Surveying across the river channel at existing fixed transect locations from bank to bank, where conditions permitted wading access;
- Estimating % algal cover at 3 locations at 2.5 m intervals within each of up to nine mesohabitats or ‘zones’, characterised by benthic substrate composition, across each transect;
- Preserving representative (non-quantitative ’scrape’) samples of dominant algae from within each transect zone.
Patterns and trends in algal cover were broadly similar to those observed in previous years.
- Aquatic flora having a consistently low to moderate cover across all sites;
- Moss and filamentous algae having low overall mean % cover across all sites;
- Filamentous algae being low and locally variable in abundance;
Mean moss cover being highly variable, but highest at site 74;
- Macrophytes occurring at site 72 at low densities.
Filamentous algal cover was low throughout, as expected in autumn, with slightly raised levels at sites 48 and 42, which suggested sustained moderate pre-Basslink trial flows permitting algal growth on the upper bars within the channel.
Data was also collected at three reference sites (Fr11, Fr21 and De7), for ongoing interpretation and benchmarking. Sampling at these sites was conducted by random placement of quadrats on the dominant channel substrate at 30 locations.
Data collected in this survey forms part of the database used to assess changes in instream conditions associated with changes in flow regimes resulting from Basslink.
|Item Type:||Report (Technical Report)|
|Keywords:||Tasmania, streams, freshwater, , biota, benthic, hydro, Basslink, Gordon River, Franklin River, power station|
|Deposited By:||utas eprints|
|Deposited On:||22 Feb 2008 09:34|
|Last Modified:||27 Jun 2011 09:39|
|ePrint Statistics:||View statistics for this ePrint|
Repository Staff Only: item control page