Library Open Repository

Photographs of Cascades' Female Factory, Hobart, Tasmania, November 1892

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Walker, James Backhouse (1892) Photographs of Cascades' Female Factory, Hobart, Tasmania, November 1892. [Image] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
Image (JPEG) (Photograph)
cascades_factor...jpg | Download (1MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

[img]
Preview
Image (JPEG) (Photograph)
cascades_factor...jpg | Download (1MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

[img]
Preview
Image (JPEG) (Photograph)
cascades_factor...jpg | Download (1MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

[img] PDF (Photograph of the Cascades' Female Factory)
cascades_factor...pdf | Download (81kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

[img] PDF (Photograph of the Cascades' Female Factory)
cascades_factor...pdf | Download (83kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

[img] PDF (Photograph of the Cascades' Female Factory)
cascades_factor...pdf | Download (78kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

Photographs of the Cascades' Female Factory Hobart, Tasmania, November 1892. In 1828 a Female Factory opened on the outskirts of Hobart at Cascades. It became the colony's largest Factory, expanding by 1853 into five major courtyards accommodating 1000 women and 175 children. The photographer was J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studios were in Elizabeth and Murray Streets between 1891 and 1940. Walker Collection W9/Ph

Item Type: Image
Keywords: Quaker, Religious Society of Friends, Tasmania, religious history, social history, Australia, James Backhouse Walker, Hobart, photography, photograph, Cascades, Female Factory, J.W. Beattie, Elizabeth Street, Murray Street, studio
Publisher: University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection
Additional Information: Reference: Tasmanian photographers 1840-1940 : a directory / by Chris Long ; edited by Gillian Winter. Hobart, Tas : Tasmanian Historical Research Association : Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, 1995.
Date Deposited: 07 Apr 2008 05:20
Last Modified: 23 Dec 2014 22:02
URI: http://eprints.utas.edu.au/id/eprint/3561
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Repository Staff Only (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page