Final Report Project R2004: Development of a Framework for the Sustainable Rivers Audit: Appendix 4 - Fish. Review and Development of Fish Assessment Protocols
Davies, PE (2004) Final Report Project R2004: Development of a Framework for the Sustainable Rivers Audit: Appendix 4 - Fish. Review and Development of Fish Assessment Protocols. Technical Report. Cooperative Research Centre for Freshwater Ecology, Canberra ACT.
|PDF - Full text restricted - Requires a PDF viewer|
This report recommends a program of work to be conducted within the Sustainable Rivers
Audit (Audit) aimed at:
- finalising a standard methodology for fish bioassessment across the MDB;
- conducting the first Basin-wide assessment of river health using fish data.
A specialist workshop, focused on fish-based bioassessment for the Audit, was attended
by key personnel from the relevant Murray-Darling Basin agencies (MDBAs) in April
2001. Key issues discussed at the workshop were:
- the absence of and the need for standardised sampling methods across the Murray-
Darling Basin (MDB);
- the need for a standard set of variables and derived measures ('metrics') which
describe fish communities at a range of levels of organisation from the individual to
the community level;
- the difficulty in defining reference conditions for fish within the MDB;
- the need for a single analytical method ('framework') for making comparisons of
metrics against expectations or reference conditions;
- the need for outputs from the assessment which are readily understood and
communicable to river managers in the MDB.
All the issues were discussed and agreement reached on a program of activities and
surveys to be conducted in the first five-year Audit period in order to implement fishbased
bioassessment within the Audit.
|Item Type:||Report (Technical Report)|
|Keywords:||Fish, freshwater, bioassessment, Australia, protocol|
|Deposited By:||utas eprints|
|Deposited On:||15 Dec 2006|
|Last Modified:||18 Jul 2008 19:45|
|ePrint Statistics:||View statistics for this ePrint|
Repository Staff Only: item control page