William Archer's Diary, Van Diemen's Land, 1 March-31 December 1847
Archer, William (2009) William Archer's Diary, Van Diemen's Land, 1 March-31 December 1847. University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection, Hobart, Tasmania.
Diary of William Archer, Van Diemen's Land, 1847.
Entries refer to his daily work both farm and architectural, his travels, visits to and from neighbours, elections and political activities.
William (1820-1874) was the second son of Thomas Archer (1790-1850) of Woolmers, Longford and studied architecture in England. After returning to Van Diemen's Land he designed among other buildings, the Hutchins School in Hobart, Mona Vale at Ross, Saundridge, Cressy as well as the East window of Christ Church, Longford. For some years he was secretary of the Royal Society of Tasmania, a Fellow of the Royal and Linnean Societies of England, and a keen botanist, named many Tasmanian plants and assisted Dr.Hooker who dedicated to him and Ronald C. Gunn, his work on the flora of Tasmania. From 1856 until 1858, he lived in England and worked at the Herbarium, Kew Gardens, presenting the library with a book of his drawings of Tasmanian orchids and mosses. He was a leading member of the anti-transportation movement, and a member for Parliament at various times between his election for Westbury in 1851 and retirement in 1866. For many years he lived at Cheshunt, Deloraine. He died at Fairfield, Longford, in 1874. A7/2/(1)
|Additional Information:||This material is subject to copyright protection. Further dealings with this material may be a copyright infringement.|
|Keywords:||Royal Society of Tasmania, Tasmania, social history, Australia, Van Diemen's Land, William Archer, diary, farm, architect, Thomas Archer, Woolmers, Longford |
|Deposited By:||eprints utas|
|Deposited On:||24 Feb 2009 16:17|
|Last Modified:||01 Jul 2010 16:18|
|ePrint Statistics:||View statistics for this ePrint|
Repository Staff Only: item control page