Library Open Repository

Quaker Meeting Houses: Hobart, Tasmania.

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Quaker, Meeting House (1837) Quaker Meeting Houses: Hobart, Tasmania. University of Tasmania Library, Special & Rare Material Collections. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF (Biographical Notes)
quaker_m_house.pdf | Download (70kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

[img]
Preview
Other (First Friends' Meeting House 1837-1880)
friends_meetinghouse.jpg | Download (88kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

[img]
Preview
Other (Second Friends' Meeting House 1880-1960)
friends_meeting_house_second.jpg | Download (49kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

[img]
Preview
Other (Second Friends' Meeting House 1880-1960: Modern View)
2nd_meeting_house.jpg | Download (99kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

[img]
Preview
Other (Third Friends' Meeting House 1960+)
meetinghouse3.jpg | Download (10kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

[img]
Preview
Other (Door latch & handle of the first Meeting House 1837-1880)
latch_m.JPG | Download (31kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

Photograph titled First Friends' Meeting House: The first Quaker Meeting House in Hobart. A cottage at 39 Murray Street which was bought by James Backhouse in 1837 with a loan from Meeting for Sufferings, London. The cost was 400 pounds including alterations (held by University of Tasmania Libary, Special and Rare Collections). Photograph titled Second Friends' Meeting House 1880-1860: In 1880 a stone Meeting House was built behind the old weatherboard house which can be seen under construction behind first Meeting House in the photograph (held by Univeristy of Tasmania Libary, Special and Rare Collections). Photograph titled Second Friends' Meeting House 1880-1860 (Modern View) (held by Univeristy of Tasmania Libary, Special and Rare Collections). Photograph titled Third Friends' Meeting House 1960+: It is located in Boa Vista Road, New Town, Tasmania (held by Univeristy of Tasmania Libary, Special and Rare Collections). Photograph titled Door latch and handle of the first Meeting House 1837-1880: This was so that Friends could enter for silent worship at any time, the lock was removed and this latch substituted (held by the Society of Friends' Meeting House Collection.) Notes Source: Michael Bennett, Quaker Life in Tasmania: The First Hundred Years, University of Tasmania Library, 2007, p.29.

Item Type: Other
Keywords: Quaker, Meeting House, Hobart, Society of Friends, James Backhouse, Van Diemen's Land, Van Diemens Land, Society of Friends' Meeting House Collection, Hobart, Tasmania
Publisher: University of Tasmania Library, Special & Rare Material Collections
Additional Information: This material is subject to copyright protection. Further dealings with this material may be a copyright infringement.
Date Deposited: 16 May 2007
Last Modified: 18 Nov 2014 03:13
URI: http://eprints.utas.edu.au/id/eprint/915
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Repository Staff Only (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page