Genetic correlations between pulpwood and solidwood selection and objective traits in Eucalyptus globulus
Hamilton, MG and Potts, BM and Greaves, B and Dutkowski, GW Genetic correlations between pulpwood and solidwood selection and objective traits in Eucalyptus globulus. Annals of Forest Science . (In Press)
Full text not available from this repository.
• If selective breeding is to be successful, significant genetic variation must be present in the traits targeted for improvement (i.e. ‘objective traits’).
• This study aimed to quantify genetic variation in Eucalyptus globulus pulpwood and sawn-timber objective traits (rotation-age whole-tree volume, survival, whole-tree basic density, sawn-board Janka hardness and sawn-board internal checking) and estimate additive genetic correlations between these and inexpensively-assessed ‘selection traits’.
• Significant genetic variation was identified in all objective traits at the subrace and/or family within subrace level.
• Selection-age diameter at breast height (1.3 m, DBH) was strongly genetically correlated with rotation-age volume (0.78) and survival (0.82). Subrace and additive genetic correlations of selection-age Pilodyn penetration with rotation-age 12-x-12-mm-sample basic density (-0.70 and -0.75 respectively) and whole-tree basic density (-0.83 and -0.91 respectively) were also strong.
• No significant subrace or additive genetic correlation between wood-sample gross shrinkage and sawn-board internal checking was detected. However, subrace and additive genetic correlations of sawn-board Janka hardness with Pilodyn penetration (-0.75 and -0.58 respectively) and sample gross shrinkage (-0.77 and -0.73 respectively) were significantly different from zero.
• These findings suggest that genetic improvement of the examined objective traits is possible through selective breeding, although none of the assessed selection traits were strongly correlated with internal checking.
|Keywords:||volume, survival, basic density, Janka hardness, checking|
|Deposited By:||Dr Matthew Gray Hamilton|
|Deposited On:||27 Jan 2010 13:52|
|Last Modified:||12 Jul 2010 16:32|
|ePrint Statistics:||View statistics for this ePrint|
Available Versions of this Item
- Genetic correlations between pulpwood and solidwood selection and objective traits in Eucalyptus globulus. (deposited 27 Jan 2010 13:52) [Currently Displayed]
Repository Staff Only: item control page