Library Open Repository
Genetic correlations between pulpwood and solidwood selection and objective traits in Eucalyptus globulus
Hamilton, MG and Potts, BM and Greaves, BL and Dutkowski, GW (2010) Genetic correlations between pulpwood and solidwood selection and objective traits in Eucalyptus globulus. Annals of Forest Science, 67 (5). ISSN 1286-4560
This is the latest version of this item.
Hamilton_(2010)...pdf | Request a copy
Full text restricted
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.
• If selective breeding is to be successful, significant genetic variation must be present in the traits targeted for improvement (i.e. ‘objective traits’).
• This study aimed to quantify genetic variation in Eucalyptus globulus pulpwood and sawn-timber objective traits (rotation-age whole-tree volume, survival, whole-tree basic density, sawn-board Janka hardness and sawn-board internal checking) and estimate additive genetic correlations between these and inexpensively-assessed ‘selection traits’.
• Significant genetic variation was identified in all objective traits at the subrace and/or family within subrace level.
• Selection-age diameter at breast height (1.3 m, DBH) was strongly genetically correlated with rotation-age volume (0.78) and survival (0.82). Subrace and additive genetic correlations of selection-age Pilodyn penetration with rotation-age 12-x-12-mm-sample basic density (-0.70 and -0.75 respectively) and whole-tree basic density (-0.83 and -0.91 respectively) were also strong.
• No significant subrace or additive genetic correlation between wood-sample gross shrinkage and sawn-board internal checking was detected. However, subrace and additive genetic correlations of sawn-board Janka hardness with Pilodyn penetration (-0.75 and -0.58 respectively) and sample gross shrinkage (-0.77 and -0.73 respectively) were significantly different from zero.
• These findings suggest that genetic improvement of the examined objective traits is possible through selective breeding, although none of the assessed selection traits were strongly correlated with internal checking.
|Keywords:||volume, survival, basic density, Janka hardness, checking|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Annals of Forest Science|
|Identification Number - DOI:||10.1051/forest/2010013|
© INRA, EDP Sciences, 2010. The original publication is available at http://www.afs-journal.org/."
|Date Deposited:||12 Jul 2010 06:32|
|Last Modified:||18 Nov 2014 04:11|
|Item Statistics:||View statistics for this item|
Available Versions of this Item
Genetic correlations between pulpwood and solidwood selection and objective traits in Eucalyptus globulus. (deposited 27 Jan 2010 02:52)
- Genetic correlations between pulpwood and solidwood selection and objective traits in Eucalyptus globulus. (deposited 12 Jul 2010 06:32) [Currently Displayed]
Actions (login required)
|Item Control Page|