Open Access Repository

Description of two Tasmanian Aboriginal crania

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Crowther, WELH (1921) Description of two Tasmanian Aboriginal crania. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 168-172.

[img]
Preview
PDF
crowther-tas-ab...pdf | Download (428kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

In a previous paper (P. and P. Roy. Soc. Tas., 1920) we
compiled a complete list of the osteological specimens, relating
to the Tasmanian Aborigines, contained in the Tasmanian
Museum.
Two of the specimens mentioned in the published list
present features worthy of comment, and in the present
instance we desire to place on record a short description
of the specimens catalogued as No. A. 298 and No. A. (E.H.)
558.
Both are crania which have been added to the Museum
collection in recent years. The former was discovered at
Tasman Island, and presented to the Museum by the Marine
Board of Hobart. It was found in a penguin (Eudyptula)
rookery, and was not in association with any other bones,
careful search in this direction yielding nothing.
As regards the second cranium (No. A. (E.H.) 558), we
are again at a loss to account for the fate of the Tasmanian
male and the party to which he belonged. The cranium
formed part of the Eaglehawk Neck discovery, the facts in
connection with which have already been placed on record
in the Papers and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
for 1918 (p. 118).

Item Type: Article
Keywords: Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records
Journal or Publication Title: Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Page Range: pp. 168-172
Copyright Holders: The Royal Society of Tasmania
Collections: Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Additional Information:

In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.

Date Deposited: 13 Dec 2012 03:31
Last Modified: 15 Sep 2017 00:59
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page
TOP