Open Access Repository

Notes on the geology of Maria Island

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Clemes, William Hall (1919) Notes on the geology of Maria Island. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 33-38.

[img]
Preview
PDF
clemes-geol-mar...pdf | Download (408kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

These notes are intended as an incentive to future
study rather than as a complete record of the geology of
this interesting locality. They are the result of several
holidays spent on the island, and particularly of two
yachting trips undertaken recently. In many places the
record is meagre, as I was unable to land and examine
the rock formations in detail, but had to rely on observations
made while sailing along, often in somewhat
troubled waters. Still the description is complete
enough to be of value, especially as no previous record
has been made, with the exception of the late R. M.
Johnston’s description of the Fossil Cliffs in his Geology
of Tasmania. There is brief mention of a paper read by
him before the Royal Society on Riedle Bay, but unfortunately
it was not printed and his valuable observations
have been lost.
Maria Island is situated on the East Coast, almost
opposite to Spring Bay and Orford. The passage between
it and the mainland varies in width from three to eight
miles. In the narrowest part, off Long Point, is Lachlan
Island, a small diabase rock covered with sparse vegetation.
Maria Island is one of those curious "tied-islands" to be
found in Tasmania. The reason for their formation has
not yet been determined, though it is usual to ascribe
it to the sinking of the land, and, though not sufficient
data has been collected to dogmatics on the matter, there
is no reason to suppose that there have been any other
forces in operation.

Item Type: Article
Keywords: Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records
Journal or Publication Title: Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Page Range: pp. 33-38
Collections: Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Additional Information:

In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.

Date Deposited: 02 Jan 2013 05:46
Last Modified: 15 Sep 2017 00:59
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page
TOP