Open Access Repository

On some Igneous rocks from the Heazlewood District

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Twelvetrees, William Harper and Petterd, William Frederick (1897) On some Igneous rocks from the Heazlewood District. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 24-38.

[img]
Preview
PDF
twelvetrees-ign...pdf | Download (1MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

The Heazlewood District is situated directly south-west
of the township of Waratah, in the county of Russell, and
has of late years been made fairly accessible in consequence of
its importance as an active centre of mining industry. The
geology is in several respects unlike that of any other
portion of the island, as far as known; though no systematic
investigation of it has yet been undertaken. It lies
south of the great coastal basaltic sheet, and north of a series
of ancient metamorphic schists, with the interpolated gneisses
and masses of crystalline limestone of the Pieman River area.
Geologically, its characteristic features may be said to commence
at a locality situate on the main Waratah-Corinna
road, and known as the 10-Mile, and to continue thence to the
immediate neighbourhood of the 18-Mile Camp. It extends
in a northerly direction a small distance beyond Mt. Cleveland,
and is crudely bounded on the south by the Parsons'
Hood Mountain, with an irregular interruption by the
stanniferous granites which form the main feature
of the Meredith Range. The characteristic which renders
the area of special interest to the geological student, and to
the petrologist in particular, is the occurrence of a series of
local rocks, which include fine grained granitites and syenites
with masses of serpentine, the latter being closely associated
with gabbros and ultra-basic rocks. These last commonly
appear as comparatively large intrusive dykes. Includes plate of Harzburgite,
Olivine Norite,
Pyroxenite and
Lherzolite.

Item Type: Article
Keywords: Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records
Journal or Publication Title: Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Page Range: pp. 24-38
Collections: Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Additional Information:

In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.

Date Deposited: 15 Feb 2013 00:33
Last Modified: 18 Nov 2014 04:48
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page
TOP