Open Access Repository

On the occurrence of Obsidian "Buttons" in Tasmania

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Twelvetrees, William Harper and Petterd, William Frederick (1897) On the occurrence of Obsidian "Buttons" in Tasmania. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 39-46.

[img]
Preview
PDF
twelvetrees-occ...pdf | Download (820kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

The little grooved and rounded discs of lava known as
obsidian buttons (and among local miners as fossil gum
seeds [eucalyptus] or pods) found occasionally in the tin
drift at Thomas Plains, Eastern Tasmania, and at Long
Plain, near Waratah, have not attracted much attention
hitherto, but are now acquiring particular interest from
European researches in connection with similar occurrences
elsewhere. They are by no means plentiful, and only eight
specimens have come into our hands ; six from Thomas
.Plains, one from Mr. Cherry's property at Springfield, near
Scottsdale, and another from Long Plain. They are
generally nearly hemispherical in shape, with a few concentric
rings or flutings round the hemisphere. The edge of the
disc is smoothly irregular, with distant sub-depressions. The
flattened side or base is slightly concave, with a central
convex elevation, which is ringed round with a distinct
beading. In colour they are intense black, somewhat dull
from a thin epidermal skin. The merest fracture,
which is conchoidal, shows a lustrous glass beneath.

Item Type: Article
Keywords: Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records
Journal or Publication Title: Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Page Range: pp. 39-46
Collections: Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Additional Information:

In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.

Date Deposited: 15 Feb 2013 00:42
Last Modified: 18 Nov 2014 04:48
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page
TOP