Open Access Repository

Note on the humeri of Tasmanian Labyrinthodonts

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Twelvetrees, William Harper and Petterd, William Frederick (1898) Note on the humeri of Tasmanian Labyrinthodonts. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 27-31.

[img]
Preview
PDF
twelvetrees-pet...pdf | Download (474kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

Last year we received from Dr. Hy. Woodward, Keeper
of the Geological Collections in the British Museum
(South Kensington) the replica of a cast in the British
Museum Collection which had been obtained from Dr.
Joseph Milligan, formerly of Hobart, and was labelled by
Professor Owen " Humerus of labyrinthodont reptile from
sandstone, probably carboniferous, Tasmania." Soon
after informing Mr. Alex. Morton, Curator of the Tasmania
Museum, of this circumstance, that gentleman
brought to our notice and placed in our hands for examination
a fossil bone (in two pieces), found in the sandstone
quarry, near Government House, in the Domain, Hobart,
and presented to the Museum, in 1856, by Mr. Kay,
Director of Public Works. This bone, unnoticed for over
forty years, is labelled " Humerus of a labyrinthodont
reptile .... has been examined by Professor Owen,"
and on the reverse is written by one of the authorities at
the British Museum, " Try Eosaurus of Marsh." Both the
British and Tasmanian Museum specimens are left humeri,
and unquestionably belong to the same genus, if not the
same species. Includes illustrations.

Item Type: Article
Keywords: Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records
Journal or Publication Title: Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Page Range: pp. 27-31
Collections: Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Additional Information:

In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.

Date Deposited: 14 Mar 2013 04:12
Last Modified: 18 Nov 2014 04:49
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page
TOP