Open Access Repository

A geological excursion to Port Cygnet in connection with the Australasian association for the advancement of science, 1902

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Twelvetrees, William Harper (1903) A geological excursion to Port Cygnet in connection with the Australasian association for the advancement of science, 1902. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 41-48.

[img]
Preview
PDF
1903-Twelvetree...pdf | Download (580kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

The interest attaching to the plexus of felspathoid rocks, now
known to occur at Port Cygnet, led to a flying visit being
paid to the locality by members of Section C. (Geology) of
the Anstralasian Association for the Advancement of Science,
in January, 1902. The occurrence of this division of eruptive
rocks in Tasmania is so restricted, and their development is
exposed so instructively, that a brief account of the excursion
will be interesting to others besides the actual visitors.
Seventeen members took advantage of the opportunity,
and travelled to Port Cygnet by one of the Channel steamers,
making the trip in a few-hours. A call was made at
Kettering, in the D'Entrecasteaux Channel, where Professor
E. C. Hogg led the party to an exposure of Permo- Carboniferous
till, with glaciated pebbles. Oyster Cove, where the
belt of alkali rocks comes through from Port Cygnet, was
not visited, the entire energies of the expedition being
reserved for the better known area at Lovett. Elaeolite
syenite, essexite and alkali rocks with trachytoidal groundmass,
occur at Oyster Cove.

Item Type: Article
Keywords: Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records
Journal or Publication Title: Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Page Range: pp. 41-48
Collections: Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Additional Information:

In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.

Date Deposited: 15 Apr 2013 01:02
Last Modified: 15 Sep 2017 01:07
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page
TOP