Open Access Repository

Abstract of Proceedings for August, 1904

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Royal Society of Tasmania, (1904) Abstract of Proceedings for August, 1904. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. xxxvii-xl.

[img]
Preview
PDF
1904-abstract_o...pdf | Download (464kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

The monthly meeting of the Royal Society
of Tasmania was held in the Society's
rooms on Tuesday evening, August
9, the Lieutenant-Governor, Sir John
Dodds, K.C.M.G., presiding. A party of
officers of the Italian warship Liguria
were present, in response to an invitation. Includes papers read by Mr H.C Kingsmill, on federal meteorology.
Mr. J. W. Beattie then exhibited
(mainly for the benefit of the Italian
naval officers present) a magnificent lot of
photographic slides of Tasmanian
scenery, and which excited frequent applause
on the part of all present.
The Secretary then read the following
paper, prepared by Colonel W. V.
Legge, R.A., entitled '"Note on Stone
Knives of the Tasmanian Aborigines
Found at Cullenwood Estate." The Secretary also read the following
paper, which he had prepared, dealing
with some Tasmanian aboriginal waddies,
or throwing sticks.
The secretary also read a paper prepared
by W. D. Campbell, A.K.C.. L.S.,
L.F.G.S., etc., Assistaait Geologist,
West Australia, entitled "Notes on the
aboriginal dancing boards of Western
Australia."

Item Type: Article
Keywords: Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records
Journal or Publication Title: Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Page Range: xxxvii-xl
Collections: Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Additional Information:

In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.

Date Deposited: 15 Apr 2013 23:39
Last Modified: 15 Sep 2017 01:07
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page
TOP